Previously known as George Donaldson & Sons, the firm was established in 1955 by George Donaldson, the grandfather of two of the present partners, Ewan and Erik.
The company was originally based at 86 Victoria Street, where they also operated home deliveries and ran a mobile shop. The impact of supermarket shopping made both these services uneconomic, and the mobile shop was discontinued in the mid-seventies.
Donaldsons moved to their present location at 38 Albert Street in 1982, when they took over “Porky” Horne’s shop – commemorated still in the form of their “Porky Horne’s”, one of the 16 varieties of sausages they make.
Extending back from the rear of the shop is the extensive processing area, which was re-equipped and brought completely up to date eight years later. Then, in 1995, customers noticed a big change when the shop was totally refurbished along modern lines, with new, transparent refrigerated counters. After a fire closed the shop for three months in 2003, the shop was re-opened as a self-service business in December of that year. Then, finally, in 2006, a dedicated smoking room and chills were added above the shop to complete the upgrading of the whole site.
In early 2012, two long-time employees, Justin Hay and Darren Dearness, were welcomed into the partnership.
The firm employs two process workers – Ruth Rendall, Mary Williams and Moira Kent the Cleaner.
May Munro, Janice Seatter and Shanelle More are shop staff.